We began by determining if there was a need for Men’s Sheds in our community. By participating in networking events, contacting the health and social services agencies, looking at demographics, there is a definite need for this type of program.
We convened our first formal meeting to establish an organizing team. We were starting from scratch, building on the experience of others. There were 3 men at this meeting.
Now a team of 6, and applied for and received registration as a non profit society in B.C.; The Okanagan Men’s Sheds Association (OKMSA). The approval was received in July.
An organizing team, now 12 active members with active participation of four existing community organizations. The interest rate has been high.
We have requested and received letters of support from many of the organizations that verbally indicated their interest. Seeking assistance in the development of an improved strategic and business plans including a budget to enable us to acquire start up funding and possibly CRA approval as a charitable organization.
Applied for a New Horizon’s Grant to establish a Pilot Men’s Shed in Kelowna
Now confirmed, grant approved, project start Mid March 2015
Through December 2014
Investigated about ten potential venues, eight did not work out; two shared space venues now active:
Branch 55 Seniors Centre with KCDS support, for regular meetings
Hawthorn Park Senior’s Centre for use of woodwork shop and for weekly ‘coffee chats’
Participation in community events has led to a developing awareness and interest in senior levels of Government and health services, resulting in
– a donation from Interior Health,
– a newsletter by the Parliamentary Secretary for Seniors,
– a meeting with MLA’s for the Central Okanagan,
– a conversation with the Senior’s Advocate for BC,
– participation in the Better at Home program
– two student projects at UBCO in the fall term
– Completed two display projects for Hawthorn
– Completed one project for Scarecrow Festival, URBA
– Cabinet project in hand for Branch 55, to be completed
– Project pending for URBA, fall completion expected
– Two other projects proposed but not developed
needs major update/edits